Monday, March 25, 2013

“When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.”-Donald Miller The reverse of this is also true – when you stop expecting yourself to be perfect you can like yourself for who you are. Each of us bring different perspectives, opinions, experience, understanding, and expertise to the table that is the Grand Rapids Child Discovery Center. The picture you see here is me with a group of Reggio educators from Iceland. We had a wonderful time discussing the Approach, our lives, children and the world. I learned a great deal, and made some wonderful friends in the process. The past week at our school vividly demonstrated the importance of relationship for me, and hopefully for many others in our community. The first instances of this realization were the several families that brought issues to my attention. Some were simple, some were not, but in each instance, I was grateful that each of the families in question felt comfortable bringing their questions and concerns directly to me. If they did not feel they were in relationship with me, or the school, they might not have come forward. A little later in the week, I was invited by the president of Kendall College to attend a Design-Thinking workshop presentation, and then a few days later took part in an organizational project meeting at Steelcase. I was also honored to observe Ms. Dews, Miss LaVoie and the students of Discovery F, participating in the Grand History Lesson at the Van Andel Public Museum. This week long session allowed our fourth and fifth graders to learn and study within the museum’s exhibits and facilities. Finally, on Saturday, I witnessed several staff, parents, and students making rain barrels as part of our sixth community retreat in partnership with the West Michigan Environmental Action Council. None of these experiences or opportunities would be possible without the relationships each of us has developed over the course of our lives, past and present. The really exciting piece is that our relationship-building is never done, and the challenging piece is that maintaining and nurturing these relationships takes time, patience, understanding, and effort. As I reflect upon the relationships I have formed over the course of my life, I find great comfort and respect in the fact that I have been fortunate to work and learn alongside many wonderful, encouraging, and supportive people. I would not be where I am today without having made the relationships I have all along the way. For example, many of you might not know it, but my relationship with Ms. Amash is how I came to be the Principal of the GRCDC. Way back in 2004, while I was a new professor at Aquinas College, I was asked to meet with a student. That student was Ms. Amash, she had some questions about the Language Arts program, and finding a teaching job. Well, she got a job here at the GRCDC, and a few years later, when the school needed a Principal, Ms. Amash stopped by my office at the college and asked me to apply. I agreed, and am so happy I did! I cannot imagine doing anything else! So, if it had not been for my relationship with Ms. Amash, I might never have known about this opening. The point to all of this is that you never know who is going to come into your life, but you can be certain that everyone who does, is there for a reason, and the reason might not become clear for some time. Finding time, space and energy to meet the needs of those with whom we are in relationship with is sometimes difficult, but if we make the effort, the rewards can be great. - emm, 3/25/13

No comments:

Post a Comment